Protecting your privacy
Psychlopaedia™ is an initiative and online publication of The Australian Psychological Society Limited (we’, ‘us’), which is committed to protecting the privacy of the personal information it holds or collects.
The personal information we hold may include your:
- contact details (including but not limited to your mail and email address, telephone numbers and fax numbers)
- date of birth and
- payment information (including your credit card details).
For contributing authors to Psychlopaedia, the personal information held by us may also include:
- your title
- your contact details and
- the biographical information supplied by you.
The APS collects personal information directly from you by:
- correspondence and telephone calls
- email subscriptions to e-newsletters, including subscriptions to Psychlopaedia
- emails and
- author commissions.
- We collect, use and disclose personal information for the purpose of conducting our operations and providing our services, which include:
- We may also seek personal information from publicly available sources.
- providing you with a particular service or range of services
- conducting surveys from time to time
- administering, managing and further developing and improving our services, including Psycholpaedia
- displaying your name, title and biography if you are a Psycholpaedia author and
- being able to verify your identity when you need to deal with us.We may disclose personal information as follows for the above purposes:
- to outsourced service providers who assist us in the delivery of some of the services you may receive, by providing functions such as:
-information technology services
-conference organising and
- to other providers of services to us (e.g. our insurers)
- to our professional advisers, including auditors
- to government authorities, as required or authorised by law
- where you otherwise provide your consent, whether express or implied
- where otherwise required or permitted by law.
Where practical, we will take reasonable steps to ensure that third parties to whom we disclose your personal information are subject to confidentiality requirements in relation to that information. Some of the third parties to whom we may disclose your personal information may be located outside Australia and may include IT providers based in the USA and Luxembourg.
Storage and security
We take reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information we hold is secure and may only be accessed by authorised persons.
We strive to keep accurate records of the personal information we collect. Accuracy also depends on the information provided to us. If you wish to query the accuracy of personal information held about you, our Privacy Officer may be contacted as set out below.
Access and correction
You have a right to seek access to your personal information held by us and that right extends to correction of the information if it is inaccurate, out of date or incomplete. To seek access to your personal information, please contact the Privacy Officer as set out below.
It is our policy to provide a summary of the personal information that we hold, rather than copies of individual documents. We do not provide direct access to evaluative information generated within the organisation in connection with commercially sensitive decision-making processes.
If we are unable to provide you with access to or correction of your personal information, we will provide you with a written notice that sets out the reasons for our decision and mechanisms available to you to lodge a complaint.
All requests for access and/or correction of personal information are subject to verification of the identity of the person making the request.
In the event that copies of individual documents are requested and we agree to meet that request, the fee for provision of documents by way of post, fax or email is $1.00 per page (or such other reasonable fee we may specify) payable prior to delivery.
How to contact us
If you have any questions in relation to the privacy of your personal information, please call The Australian Psychological Society, Monday – Friday between 8.45am – 5.15pm Melbourne time on (03) 8662 3300 from Melbourne or 1800 333 497 from elsewhere.
Alternatively, you can write to the Privacy Officer, The Australian Psychological Society Limited, PO Box 38, Flinders Lane, Victoria, 8009, Australia or email email@example.com.
Changes to this Policy
Last updated June 2016